In the summer of 2010 the all-female practice, CCOG Women’s Health Group welcomed Dr. Candice Shea, a dedicated and caring new physician. After completing her residency in Macon, Georgia, Dr. Shea interviewed all over the country in search of the practice where she would find good friends in her colleagues and a friendly, comfortable environment for her patients.
In the summer of 2010 the all-female practice, CCOG Women’s Health Group welcomed Dr. Candice Shea, a dedicated and caring new physician. After completing her residency in Macon, Georgia, Dr. Shea interviewed all over the country in search of the practice where she would find good friends in her colleagues and a friendly, comfortable environment for her patients. CCOG and their patients have benefited greatly by Dr. Shea’s decision to put down roots in Connecticut.
Growing up in Massachusetts, Dr. Shea found her love for women’s health while working at Planned Parenthood and attending UMASS Amherst. This love grew as did opportunities to teach young women about birth control, safe sex and understanding their bodies. Her passion for female adolescent issues and helping bring babies into this world made obstetrics and gynecology the clear choice.
Now settled in at CCOG, Dr. Shea shares that “the people– both staff and patients” are the best part of her day. She intends to stay current on advancing technologies and is proud to be a part of a practice that is “up-to-date on the latest guidelines and uses the newest technologies, both in the office and in the operating room.”
Having recently given birth to her first child, Dr. Shea shares that it has taught her so much about the “pregnancy experience” and allows her to connect and relate on a closer level with her patients. This is coupled with the special focus CCOG offers in Midwifery. “I had no experience with midwives prior to working here” says Dr. Shea, “I really enjoy teaching patients about midwifery and the bonuses of having a midwife in labor (like massages) and learning about the natural ways to do things that MDs traditionally are taught to treat with medication or surgery.“
Dr. Candice Shea as well as the other physicians and midwives at CCOG Women’s Health Group are currently accepting new patients. If a dedicated and diverse, all-female Ob Gyn practice is what you’ve been looking for, this may be the group for you!
Curious about Midwifery?
Here are some specifics of care and unique benefits about midwifery services at CCOG:
- Prenatal care
- Labor support including birthing balls, sterile water papules and appropriate use of analgesics
- Routine, normal and spontaneous vaginal deliveries; can assist physicians during C-sections
- Care for high-risk obstetrical patients in coordination with the physicians
- Annual exams, problem visits, contraceptive encounters (including IUDs and Implanon®) for GYN patients
- Menopausal support and care for women of all ages
- Some perform colposcopies for abnormal Pap tests and coordinate follow-up care with the physicians.
- The entire staff meets every two weeks to review high-risk obstetrical patients and to maximize co-managed care.